Friday, August 22, 2008

Typhoon

Norfolk to Sacramento. Sac to San Francisco. SF to Hong Kong???

My flight has been rescheduled for Friday morning due a typhoon scare somewhere out there in the Pacific. This frightens me. I actually get very nervous when flying. While encountering turbulence during a flight may be an ordinary thing, any little dip of the plane sends my mind into a state of paranoia, if only momentarily. My family will be familiar with this story; I get the same feeling during turbulence as I did when the left rear tire of our van spontaneously fell off its axle on that trip up to Timberline to go skiing in West Virginia. Even though the tire was repaired later that day and everything was supposedly in good shape I still got scared every time we went around a hairpin turn on those mountain roads. I kept thinking our tire would pop off its axle again, only we'd be rolling to our death down the mountain side instead of stuck on the side of I-64. So, I really hope there isn't any possibility of "inclement weather" tomorrow.

With my flight canceled I was able to do a bit more exploring in SF. Since I went to the see the Golden Gate Bridge yesterday, today I wandered through Fisherman's Wharf, Presidio, Chinatown, and various other places. I went to Chinatown only to test whether or not I'm really up for the move. Turns out I am. Let me just say that the Chinese love chaos--the crowds, the pushing, shoving, yelling, anything in that general category and they're into it. I'll get used to it I'm sure. Another thing, Christine suggested I color my hair black to fit in. I may just do it.

It's getting late here so I'll have to elaborate on the rest of my day in SF at a later date. By the time you guys read this this I'll probably be half way through my 14 hour plane ride. I'll miss you all. Thanks for everyone's support.

K - I'm taking the seashell you painted for me on the plane ride tomorrow. It's my good luck charm.
Mikenna Lee- Good luck with your ballet lessons. I love you to the moon and back.
A Bear/Neville - Be nice to your brother and sister.
Anika - No more peeing your pants at night! You're almost 15 months now.
Dunlaps/Simons/Choquettes - Keep on keeping on. And feel free to wire me money anytime.