Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Will Someone Please Fan Me

This post goes out to Cathleen Hamel. Also, Happy 30th Birthday to my brother Christian. He is my first sibling to enter his third decade of living on this beautiful earth.

I wish Chinese classrooms had air conditioners in them.

It's hot again, the kind of hot when you immediately want strip off your clothes, drink a big glass of ice water and just lay on your bed for 10 minutes and do nothing. I do not miss this weather; in fact I dread it--a lot. I would be happy if Shenzhen's January weather which is about 65°F stayed all year long. Today reminds me of first arriving in China last August, sweating a lot and being very bitter. Virginia is humid enough.

Hot weather is not only uncomfortable but also costly. A few of the discomforts of hot and humid weather are as follows:

Devoting twice as much time and money to laundry

Drinking more liquids → using more Chinese squatties (toilets) → more peeing on yourself
Chinese bathrooms usually don't provide toilet paper either, so you also have to buy more tissues

If you are my friend then you must deal with me complaining more than my usual amount

Stinky children in the classrooms after PE class and stinky armpits in your face on the bus