Monday, September 8, 2008

I'm finally in China...

Things have been better. The past three weeks getting to know the other participants was fun, but now it's time to do what I actually traveled thousands of miles for--live and teach in a developing country called China. Yesterday was the contract signing ceremony. My headmaster and contact teacher are both male. Although they are cordial it would be nice if I had a female I could depend on around here. I am the only foreign teacher at Cai Tian School. There are 2,500 students. I was told I would be teaching primary, but it appears I will be teaching both primary and middle school. I don't know how I feel about this. It's all so overwhelming.

And that last entry about the Chinese staring at foreigners needs to be amended. Everyone stares at me. They can't take their eyes off of me. The most common greeting a Chinese woman will say to me is, "You are very beautiful". But basically any foreigner who isn't overweight is beautiful in their minds. I don't have a problem with this so much, but the staring in general gets old. I don't ever want to be in the public eye. I don't know how I'd handle all the attention.